At Optimum, water is what we do and what we love talking about! We also know that water is the most important resource in the world and, while we need it to survive, there’s much more to water than that! Still, so many people overlook just how fascinating water can be. Today, we thought we would share six fun and interesting water facts that make it clear just how amazing water is. Let’s get started!

2.5% of the Earth’s Water is Freshwater

Our first fun water fact is that 2.5% of the Earth’s water is freshwater. Of that 2.5% of freshwater, 68.6% of it is actually locked in glaciers and ice caps and cannot be directly accessed. This proves that freshwater is an important yet limited resource and highlights the need for water treatment processes that transfers saltwater, which is the most abundant type of water on Earth, into freshwater as well as reprocessing our freshwater after use.

It Takes 2,900 Gallons of Water to Make One Pair of Jeans

Believe it or not, it takes 2,900 gallons of water to create just one pair of jeans. While this may seem like a lot (and it is), it’s important to keep this in mind as we purchase jeans. It takes around 1,800 gallons of water to produce enough cotton for just one pair of blue jeans and, interestingly, this is more water than it takes to produce a ton of cement or an entire barrel of beer. Further, that’s just taking into account the process of growing cotton! It takes an additional 9,982 gallons of water for both the dye and machine wash processes. So how can we fix this? Well, we can try to stop purchasing so many jeans or, at least, purchase them secondhand to limit water consumption in this process.

It Takes 4.25 Gallons of Water to Flush a Conventional Toilet

Another interesting water fact that you should know about is that it takes roughly 4.25 gallons of water in order to flush a conventional toilet a single time. That’s a lot of water used each and every time we use the toilet! This proves that it is crucial for us to watch our water consumption in our own homes. But what can we do about this problem?

It’s important to take note of ways that you can save water in your home. This includes checking your toilet for any leaks, avoiding using your toilet as a wastebasket, and even taking shorter showers. If you utilize some of these water-saving strategies, you can significantly cut down on water usage in your home. Keep these tips in mind!

Americans Use Five Times the Amount of Water That Europeans Use

Believe it or not, we use a lot more water on an annual basis in America than they do in European countries. Each day, the average American family uses about 552 gallons of water while the average European family uses just 144 liters of water per person, which translates to roughly 38 gallons per person in a family. With an average household size of 2.3 people in Europe, it is clear that their families consume much less water on a daily basis than we do here in America.

Water is the Only Substance on Earth That is Found Naturally in Three Forms

Water just so happens to be the only substance on Earth that is found naturally occurring in three forms: solid, liquid, and gas. Water can exist as a solid in the form of ice, a liquid in the form of liquidized water, and a gas in the form of water vapor. Further, as another interesting water fact, Earth also happens to be the only planet known to man where water exists abundantly in all three states. That’s a pretty fun fact!

Less Than 1% of the Water Supply on Earth Can Be Used as Drinking Water

Finally, our last interesting water fact is that a total of less than 1% of the water supply on Earth can be used as drinking water! Specifically, approximately 0.3% of the water on Earth is usable by humans. The other 99.7% of water on Earth is in the oceans, soils, icecaps, and floating in the atmosphere. This highlights the need for us to use processes such as desalination to make water drinkable, as the limited amount of drinkable water is scarce.

Optimum Bottleless Water Systems

Now that you know these six fun water facts, it’s time to learn more about Optimum’s bottleless water systems. There are many benefits to using an Optimum bottleless water system. For one, our systems come equipped with a 5-stage filtration process that removes sediment, bacteria, chlorine, and more. This keeps your water fresh and pure. Secondly, it tastes better than tap and water from a plastic jug.

Our bottleless water systems are also cost-effective as they are more economical than a bottled water service, saving you money in the long run. Check out our Optimum bottleless water systems today and find the perfect one for your home or office!